What a WEEK! We had A LOT of Royal Events this week, and still plenty of stuff you haven’t yet eyeballed in the slideshow. Pour another Pimms and let’s get it on. I bring you turbans and George and tiaras and the deepest Wiki deep-dive ever, which somehow brings us new knowledge about the world’s biggest yachts and also Putin? I don’t know. These things just happen.
Here at GFY:
- We had Prince Carl Philip and Sofia’s wedding!
- We also covered their guests, the Wiki-details of which were as diverting as usual.
- It was Trooping the Colour over in London, and all the Brits seemed mildly cranky, EXCEPT for Prince George, who is a treasure
- Kate took George out the next day for polo, and it was adorable.
- Then Ascot began! Here’s our coverage of Days One and Two
- And our coverage of Day Three, AKA Ladies Day
- And finally, if you read The Royal We, you might be interested in reading about how Heather and I tinkered with British history to shove the current group off to the side, and place our fictional Lyons dynasty on the throne, while still maintaining a giant chunk of history as we know it. We get very detailed about it — down to a family tree stretching back to Victoria — over on our book blog.
And elsewhere of interest:
- I’ve mentioned here before that Netflix is making a series about Queen Elizabeth and her many prime ministers (starring Claire Foy, who was recently Anne Boleyn in Wolf Hall, which should be…interesting) and they’ve got more casting news: John Lithgow as Churchill (???) and Matt Smith was Prince Philip, which….. I feel like a lot of my reactions to the casting of this series is just punctuation. I am not a Doctor Who watcher, but I feel like Young Prince Philip was REALLY HOT and Smith doesn’t really ring my bell, so…we’ll see. (Hypeable)
- Hard times when you are a princess who’s ALLEGEDLY committed tax fraud: Spanish Princess Sells Mansion To Pay Bail (Sky News)
- Hello! has loads of details about Princess Madeleine’s new baby, wee Prince Nicolas (which we’re taking as a shout-out to The Royal We.) This story also has perhaps the jauntiest thumbs-up I’ve seen in weeks.
- The outfit George wore at Trooping the Colour on Saturday was previously worn by Wills AND by Chaz, and People‘s got all the details. I want an interview with the person in charge of Heirloom Baby Clothes Maintenance!
- People really KNOWS ME, you guys: Kate and Her Striped Shirts: A Love Story
- Per The Mirror, everyone went out and celebrated QE2′s birthday last week at…a wine bar. ALL OF THEM. Philip, too. At 94, dear God, PLEASE let me be tottering out to the wine bar.
- People says Pips has been out buying presents for Charlotte.
- They’ve also got good scoop on the ins and outs of Royal Ascot’s dress code.
- So does The New York Times!
- Today was Harry’s last day in the Army, which actually is very possibly why he seemed so glum this week. He’s off to Africa for three months to work on conservations projects. (Hello!)
- That said, the rumor that he and Jenna Coleman are dating (or possibly just banging) IS picking up steam. That should cheer you up, Harry! At least until you leave for three months. (Town and Country)