I seriously had to think about what year it was when I wrote this. And then I got the date wrong. Where AM I, and why isn’t the answer “Tahiti”? Post-Oscars is a confusing time.
First of all! ICYMI, you can now read the first seven chapters of our forthcoming novel, The Royal We, for free! FREE! Also, Goodreads is giving away 15 signed galleys, so be sure to enter if you are interested! (Unfortunately, the giveaway is for US readers only.)
In non-book-related news, it’s also possible that you missed some of our Fashion Week shenanigans given the Drama and Grandeur of the Oscars that came right on the heels of NYFW. If so, we’ve got a round-up of everything we did and wrote for Cosmo here. You cannot miss Heather asking Martha from The Americans about what it’s like to boink Matthew Rhys when they’re both wearing crazy wigs.
– Romance titan Bertrice Small died this week. When I was a teenager, I was OBSESSED with her Skye O’Malley series. (Smart Bitches, Trashy Books)
– And Leonard Nimoy died today, which I am so SAD about. The New York Times has a neat video of him explaining the origin of the Vulcan hand signal.
– You guys will love this piece on Ralph Fiennes, and not just because a Fug National was quoted therein. (The Telegraph)
– Jamie Lee Curtis interviews Signourney Weaver for Interview and it is awesome. To wit: “I played a woman who kept a hedgehog in her vagina in one play; I was schizophrenic in another. It was just so much fun.”
– YAY! Allen Leech — AKA Tom Branson on Downton Abbey — did an AMA on Reddit. You should know that he called Maggie Smith “The Notorious M.A.G.”
– Speaking of Downton, here’s a great piece on that showstopper of a dress that Rose wore last week. (Spoilers, obviously, if you’re not caught up.) (Radio Times)
– PNEUMATIC TUBES! I’m obsessed with them; Lapsed Historian has a FASCINATING piece about their use in London.
– That T Swift is savvy; she explains to People StyleWatch why she posted a bikini pic on her Instagram. Spoiler: to screw with the paparazzi.
– People also has a cool video, reliving the Oscars red carpet in 90 seconds.
– The pics from inside the Vanity Fair Oscar party are great, if you haven’t seen them yet. Like this one, of Bandaidcatcher Casteroil talking to the Sisters Collins.
– The first image from the Jem and The Holograms movie is HERE! (Pajiba)
– Open Culture explains why people do their best thinking in the shower. Which is true for me. I once almost rented an apartment that had a white board hanging over the bathtub. I think I walked in and said, “well. A writer used to live here.”
– Drew Barrymore is writing a book of “personal essays,” which could potentially be interesting. She has lived a life. (Lainey)
– Apparently Jude Law was almost cast as Superman. That is INTRIGUING. (Celebitchy)