No specific royals coverage on GFY this week means LOADS of royals coverage in this week’s round-up. William went to Malta! Harry hugged children! Crown Princess Mary looked gorgeous! Charlene looked totally miserable! AND MORE!
But elsewhere, I have found MUCH for you to read and enjoy:
- This was a very interesting but kind of all-over-the-place and occasionally incorrect Newsweek article about British opinion of Kate Middleton that I think would have been much stronger with a more focused thesis (and if Germaine Greer hadn’t spent so much time yapping about Kate’s weight, which is not — I cannot resist — wholly germane to the topic at hand and certainly is far from the most interesting thing about anyone. Also, apparently no one there fact-checked her statement about Kate not being able to decorate her own home, which anyone who reads the Daily Mail or People knows is not true. She has been decorating the shit out of houses all year! Fact-check your pull quotes, Newsweek, even if they ARE pithy!). Anyway.
- The Daily Beast goes ahead and calls the above “utter tosh.”
- Speaking of Kate, People has an update on how she is feeling. (Hyperemesis gravidarum sounds awful.)
- People also has reports from William’s trip to Malta (that he took in her place.) It seems that it went over very well.
- The Daily Beast had an interesting article on the history of child-rearing in the British royal family, which contains all kinds of tidbits from The Heir Apparent, if you read that (and you should!), and boils down to, “William and Kate have decided to be nice, instead.”
- The last of the Mitford sisters died this week, and you should read her obit. It’s fascinating and fabulous. You should ALSO read a variety of books from a variety of Mitfords, if you like People Having Problems During Wars and Fancy English People Realizing One of Their Sisters Is a Nazi Sympathizer and SECRET COMMUNISTS and….well, you’d like those books, is what I’m saying.
- Take this quiz about the Queens of England over at History Extra! It involves a LOT of people making intriguing marital choices.
- Royal Central helpfully explains how all the titles on Downtown Abbey work.
- Per The Daily Mail I KNOW, there’s going to be a big auction of Diana’s dresses, and a variety of other royals paraphernalia — like a piece of Wills and Kate’s wedding cake — basically right down the street from me and yes Heather and I are totally going. She is under strict orders NOT TO LET ME BUY ANYTHING.
- Oh, hey, Sophie and Edward went to Canada! (National Post)