[Photos; PacCoastNews, AKM/GSI, Fame/Flynet]
Fugger: Pippa Middleton
All of coverage from day in question can be found here, of course — including our liveblog of the wedding, at which I wore a caftan (sincerely), and which contains so many memories, including “2:51 a.m: KATE IS GETTING INTO THE CAR. SHE IS WEARING WHITE AND A VEIL AND LACE SLEEVES AND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (We can’t really see it.) (But it seems demure and lovely.) (We can’t wait to get a good look at it.) (Vera Wang is all, ‘There’s a very large skirt.’ No kidding, Vera. ‘You wouldn’t want to wear it to a restaurant.’ REALLY? NO KIDDING VERA. You WOULDN’T want to wear the gown you’re wearing to marry THE FUTURE KING OF ENGLAND to a restaurant.),” which is a comment that, three years later, I still totally stand by. I totally forgot I spent all Royal Wedding Night wanting to smack Vera Wang. But why not take a little walk down memory lane, is what I am saying. Fug Nation does love a good wedding.
PS: For this slideshow, I tried to get pictures that were specifically not in our previous coverage (other than, obviously, The Balcony Kiss That Changed Piers Morgan Forever), but obviously they will probably not SHOCK you with their newness. I did not discover one of Harry, like, secretly snogging Pippa behind an ice sculpture or anything.
(Speaking of snogging, this seems like an excellent place to remind everyone once again and probably not for the last time that Heather and I have a new book coming out next year, right about now (tentatively), the subject of which is very topical to this post. Per Publishers Weekly, it is: “Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan’s first adult novel THE ROYAL WE, about a young American woman who spends a semester abroad in England and falls in love with the man of her dreams — who happens to be the future King of England, a tale loosely inspired by the real-life courtship and marriage of Kate Middleton and Prince William.” ["Loosely," by the way, is very apt. Stuff gets way fictionalized up in this thing. A giant chunk of which I am supposed to be writing right now, actually. What am I even doing here? Go look at Harry and let me concentrate on this book, you guys.])
- The arrival, AKA Kate’s red pillbox hat and George in his wee Queen’s Guards sweater.
- The playgroup, AKA OMG GEORGE YOU ARE SO CUTE.
- Wills and Kate In McQueen visit the war memorial, talk to children, flarg around with a vintage plane, sport a ponytail.
- In which a new portrait of The Queen is revealed, and Jenny Packham is modeled at a state reception.
- Yachts were raced! Twice! And Kate won both times. Sunglasses were worn and flirting was accomplished.
- A green coat was worn, Olympians were greeted, and much laughing occurred.
- There was rugby and wine-tasting and coats and like a really LOT of near-canoodling, as an Emilia Wickstead made an appearance in teal and The Hair was out in full force. This was the day on which I turned to Heather and said, so delicately….allow me to paraphrase… “these two are making sweet, sweet eye-love to each other all over New Zealand.”
- Red was worn as balls were whacked and I suggested we might have to send Pippa into orbit to save the world.
- THE RETURN OF GEORGE.
- THE RETURN OF GEORGE CONTINUES, as the Cambridges arrive in Sydney.
- Cliff-peering! Girl Guides! Lurking in trees! Laughing in cars! All in DVF.
- What better to wear to see giant gourds and pumpkins made in your likeness than white eyelet?
In other non-Wills, Kate, and George news: Other than The Queen, the rest of the British royals were kind of inside this week. I can only imagine they’re all watching East Enders and being like, “meh, no one even cares about us right now. It’s so relaxing. Pass me that giant wheel of Stilton. I want to stick my head in it.” I do suspect that we’ll get way more snaps for next week, when people pop out to church on Easter Sunday. As it is, you shall have to enjoy the Queen! Angela Lansbury (queen of my heart)! Cressida buying a smoothie! Pippa carrying, honestly, a really good bag! Princess Charlene on the cover of Hola in a shot that is going to give more evidence to those who suspect she is gestating, as we all ruthlessly speculated a couple of weeks ago!
– Marie Claire Australia has interactive Kate paper dolls! (Marie Claire)
– More deets about their winery visit! (Grapefriend)
– People Great Ideas has all kinds of good info (and recipes) about what Wills and Kate drank and ate at their winery visit last week. I love them for always indulging my need to know the menus for everything. (People)
– Also in People, they’ve got some great behind-the-scenes coverage of this current royal tour. People really does royals coverage right. (People)
–Here’s the resort where William and Kate stayed for their one night away from the baby in New Zealand. OH MY GOD IT’S HIDEOUS. By which I mean the opposite of that. We’re having the Fug Nation Retreat THERE. (Hello!)
– “Sources” that recently said Harry and Cressida were going to make it official are now saying that Cressida isn’t Royals Material. My personal theory is that the They’re Getting Married!!! Source was always someone on Team Cressida (perhaps her mother) and the Um, I Don’t Think So! Source is The Palace. (E! Online)
– More info about that Charlene cover, including deets on the tiara she’s sporting. (Hello!)
– The Danish royal family celebrated Queen Margrethe’s birthday this week in an event of which I could get no photos for us, so enjoy the work of Hello! magazine. (Hello!)
[Photos: Getty, Splash, Fame/Flynet, Fame/FlynetUK]
who had a truly formidable and fascinating career, died in August, and there was a memorial service for him at Westminster Abbey yesterday, which drew — as the Telegraph said in the article to which I just linked — an eclectic crowd indeed: Sienna Miller! Pippa Middleton? Simon Le Bon! Fergie (the Duchness, not the Pea)? Many of them looked pretty great, I have to confess. Thank God no one showed up for a memorial service wearing, like, a bra top.
[Photos: Getty, WENN]