Happy Friday! As a reminder, this Monday is the Met Gala, so make sure you eat your Wheaties and drink your Gatorade this weekend in preparation.
Also! The Royal We is now out in paperback! You can get it everywhere — including Target! — and we hope you do.
– MTV put together a round-up of all of their Prince coverage, which is excellent.
– Speaking of, New Girl’s Liz Merriweather’s remembrance of working with Prince at Vulture is so so lovely.
– There is a lot of great writing about Beyonce’s Lemonade happening this week; Melissa Harris-Perry’s piece at Elle is very well worth your time.
– Also interesting on Lemonade, MTV’s round-table discussion. Whether or not you respond to Beyonce as an artist, I don’t think it can be denied that she’s prompted countless compelling conversations this year, about music and art and marriage and feminism and race. Lemonade dropped while we were asleep in the UK and it’s taken me a long time to get up to speed, but when I saw that it had come out, my main thought was not, “I can’t wait to hear this,” but “I can’t wait to read all the interesting articles people are going to write about this.” I have not been disappointed.
– This story about Enya in The Sun is moderately bonkers.
– Over at Lainey: Emily Blunt & Lin-Manuel Miranda in Mary Poppins. HOW DID I MISS THIS EARLIER?!?!?!
– At Atlas Obscura, a fascinating story about — yes — tulips.
– At Vanity Fair: Olivia de Havilland and the Most Notorious Sibling Rivalry in Hollywood. TELL ME MORE, OLIVIA. (This is, in part, an actual interview.)
– Town and Country examines the downfall of Tinsley Mortimer.
– At XOJane: Get Your Nostalgia on with These Throwback Instagram Accounts, Including One Dedicated to the Fabulousness of Jessica Fletcher. You had me at Jessica Fletcher.
– This is a fascinating piece at Racked about the cult of teatox teas on Instagram. “Influencers” are getting like $250,000 a post to shill them, it’s amazing.
– Also at Racked: Fashion and Beauty Secrets From LA’s Most Stylish Older Women. (And they are for real older, not the LA “older” of, like, 43. I’m talking like 76 years old.)
– At Pajiba: The Biggest Season Finale Cliffhangers (Of 1996)
– Oh, I love this, at The Guardian: Food in books: fruitcake from The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman
– You’ll enjoy this convo between Tom Hanks and John Oliver, courtesy of Vulture.
– At The New Potato, look at all these shoes!
– Relevant to our interests, at The Observer: Chain Reaction: Beautiful, Deadly Necklaces on ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘The Good Wife’
– Via Celebitchy, dude, the cast for the new Twin Peaks is HUGE.
And here at GFY, in case you missed it, some highlights:
- We have concerns about Maisie Williams on the cover of Nylon
- And more concerns about Kate Hudson’s essay in InStyle
- We looked back at Taylor Swift’s Met Gala gowns of the past
- Outlander was extra gorgeous this week.
- We visited two fantastic exhibits of royal fashion while we were in the UK, and this is our full report.
- WHAT is Hailee Steinfeld WEARING?
- So many international Vogues to eyeball!
- Matthew Goode is so cute. Still. Always.