Well. This was QUITE A WEEK. This week’s slideshow repeats some baby pictures, just because I was out of the office for all of the Debut of Princess Squashyface — er, Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana — and I want to do some squeeing and I assume you all want to look at baby pictures again and also I think now that we’ve all recovered from BABY, we can give Wills some props for not wearing giant hideous Dad Jeans; a LOT of Prince Harry, who took his leave of Australia; and a wee bit here and there from the other royals, whom I assume mostly spent the rest of the week reading about Princess Charlotte, as I did. In case you missed all the fuss, Yahoo has video of Wills and Kate popping out with the sprog; you can see Prince George giving us his royal wave at YouTube.
Here on GFY, we were chockablock with ROYAL BABIES. To wit:
- Here’s the post I threw up as soon as I woke up and found out we had a Princess, in which we speculate on her name.
- Wills brought George to meet his sister and it was EXTREMELY CUTE.
- And then, of course, we all got to meet the baby, Cheeks McFace 2: The Noodling.
- And yesterday, we had a bit of fun fan-casting The Royal We (which you should probably buy for your mother, or your mother-in-law, or your grandma, or your friends who are mothers, in advance of Mother’s Day on Sunday, of course).
Additionally: Heather and I are going to be in Chicago for the Printers Row Lit Fest, and finally we have a time and date for our event! We’ll be chatting with Beth Fenner, Editor-in-Chief of Chicago Magazine, on Saturday, June 6th, at 1pm, about The Royal We, this here blog, and whatever else you want to ask us, after which we will be signing books and chatting you up! We are VERY EXCITED to finally visit Chicago, so please come out and see us! (And it feels especially apt that we’re visiting for this book, given that Bex is a massive Cubs fan.)
And elsewhere, we have SO MUCH TO READ:
- What Kate’s Kids Wore reports that Charlotte’s little bonnet was a gift from her and George’s nanny, Maria Borrallo. This piece has all kinds of bonnet-intel (patterns!) and wee baby clothes.
- The Court Jeweller looks at some of the jewelry that may be at Charlotte’s disposal.
- At Vanity Fair, Katie Nicholl — always a treat to read — has the low-down on Charlotte’s names.
- And The Telegraph looks at other Princess Charlottes in history. If I may quote: “From a snuff-addicted Queen to a Royal parrot, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge’s first name has a long and varied regal heritage.”
- Speaking of babies, Princess Charlene’s are being christened this weekend, and Hello! has all the details.
- Emma Bridgewater has made a Commemorative Charlotte Mug. (I have not yet chosen my Commemorative Mug of Choice, but this is a good option.)
- Huge thanks to Hypable for including The Royal We in this story: Contemporary royal fairytales: Check these out if you’ve got Royal Baby fever
- Maclean’s has a great interactive map called Princess Charlotte’s London (and a ton of swell royal baby coverage, overall).
- And big love to This Curious Thing for calling the book “a super fun read” with a “splendid romance,” in their coverage of five recommended novels about royalty!
- People’s coverage of the new royal baby is, as you might imagine, stellar. Here’s a piece on the first couple of days home from the hospital.
- Likewise, they cover the Queen meeting her latest great-granddaughter — she’s got FIVE — and have a shot of CED’s birth certificate.
- Hello’s got the dish on George’s little blue outfit. I just want Kate to get him a beaded belt to match William’s. Is that so much to ask?
- Wills and Kate and the kids are off to Anmer Hall now, presumably to try to sleep, take lots of naps, and UTTERLY DESTROY ALL THAT IS IN HIS PATH, respectively. (The Duchess Diary)
- The Telegraph looks at what it means to have a princess, finally, in the British Royal Family.
- This is an interesting read about Eleanor of Aquitaine, speaking of bad ass English royals. (Medievalists.net)
- Mette-Marit wore a flowered frock to an art event.
- Into the Gloss explains how to get Grace Kelly’s royal wedding make-up look.
- Over on FB, the Historic Royal Palaces page has great photos of and intel on royal christening gowns.
- This is a fascinating look from the BBC about the gifts Princess Charlotte has already gotten from around the world. Including a pygmy possum!
- Love this look at the Royal Babies of King George and Queen Charlotte over at All Things Georgian.
- Hello! looks at Princess Charlotte’s horoscope.
- Racked has the entire tale of Kate’s pregnancy as told through histrionic and inaccurate tabloid covers. It’s so brilliant.
- This headline says it all: Prince Harry, Action Hero: See the Royal Rappel Out of a Helicopter – and Cuddle a Pup (People)
- And, finally, for the 70th anniversary of VE Day, the palace has released a recording of the Queen’s memories of that day, when she and Margaret left the palace and went outside to walk with everyone else. It’s quite a good story. (There will be further VE Day anniversary events but I believe they will occur after this post publishes; I’ll cover them the next time.) (People)