Programming alert! The VMAs are Sunday (we took a look back at its red carpet from 2006 earlier today), so make sure you swing by on Monday for complete coverage. Until then:
– This is so flipping good. Elle had a variety of Emmy nominees perform the “Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose” monologue from Friday Night Lights. Sterling K Brown as Coach Taylor is essentially the only thing I need in my life, ever, it turn out:
(At one point, I swear Tracee Ellis Ross is doing Marta Karolyi, also. Plus, I mean, Keegan-Michael Key. And Rachel Bloom! It’s just really good.)
– H and I wrote a retrospective of Britney Spear’s most iconic red carpet looks for Cosmo, and it was really fun. Also, in case you forgot: BODY BE BANGIN’. Wow, Britney.
– Also: You’ve got another week or so to take advantage of the Buy Two Get One Free sale that B&N is having on their favorite paperbacks, one of which is The Royal We!
– This is amazing, at Bright Side: Auto mechanics pay homage to the legendary artworks of Renaissance painters
– Also fascinating: Forensic analysis of pigtails to help identify original ‘mutineers of H.M.S. Bounty’ [Phys.org]
– The Cut wonders, in light of Nate Parker’s college rape accusations, Is It Okay to See Birth of a Nation?
– At Mashable, these are fascinating late-1800s photochroms of Istanbul.
– At Lainey: Aw! I also totally forgot these two were married, and I love them together.
– Also at Lainey, is it so WRONG if I want these two to get back together? IS IT?
– Relevant to our interests, at Revelist: 11 times Helen Mirren proved she’s a feminist goddess
– Really interesting, and highly complex, at Indie Wire: Plagiarism Accusation Ignites Behind-the-Scenes Battle Over Costume Design
– At Pajiba, we get our weekly Jason Momoa. THANK YOU.
– At Fashionista, Amy Schumer joins the ranks of a variety of celebs complaining about how much the Met Gala sucks. Gosh, it’s a shame that you’re legally obligated to attend it! You know, in fairness, I get that the Met may not be Amy’s jam but that she felt she needed to go for her own PR. And that’s a totally, totally legitimate choice that she made for her career — and guess who got a Vogue cover this year? Exactly. I do not, however, think that it’s particularly necessary to go on Stern (now that said cover is out, and she’s gotten baller coverage from Vogue of her new memoir), and trash the whole thing (and backhandedly insult Alexander Wang in the process). Just…don’t go again? Problem solved!
– At Celebitchy, this is legit a question to which I need the answer: Did Joshua Jackson & Ruth Wilson have a wine-soaked hookup this week?
And, finally, if you missed a few days here at GFY this week, some highlights:
– Here’s a round-up of all our Olympics coverage!
– Chloe Sevigny wore THE CUTEST shoes.