Every time I glance at this thing, I have to do a double-take on whether it’s off-the-shoulder.
It’s the type of thing Forever 21 would knock off — er, pay homage to — by actually MAKING it off-the-shoulder and then sewing a t-shirt into it. Sometimes I think Forever 21 is what Donna Martin would have done with Now Wear This!, if she had made it far enough. It would be all fast-fashion, and all basically one-ply and itchy.
Anyway, enough about that old sadsack. Let’s talk Steinfeld. I do love this orangey-red, and I don’t even know that I HATE it with the pale pink — it reminds me of this Prada on Audrey Tautou, from Cannes 2013 — but the cut and shades create an optical illusion that throws me off my already-shambolic game. So let’s get tweaksy: Would you shorten it? Would you ACTUALLY make it off-the-shoulder? Would you try a different color up there? Or would you leave it? Throw in a more orange lipstick? And what of the shoes? All of which is also then considered through the lens of her being a 17-year old girl, so she’s careening right into the “Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman” territory that Britney so movingly poeticized. Is the length too adult? Or is it the perfect amount of sophistication for someone who, by all appearances, is not steering herself into Gomez City or Mileytown?
You have feelings, I suspect, and see if you can guess what I was watching while working:
- It is my Bridget Jones: I love it just as it is. (38%, 1,091 Votes)
- It is my Daniel Cleaver: It's roguish and tricksy but I can't stay mad at it (24%, 698 Votes)
- It's Perpetua: too prim, but I bet there's something groovy festering under the surface (22%, 645 Votes)
- It's the second Bridget Jones book/movie: DID NOBODY THINK TO GIVE NOTES ON THIS? (12%, 345 Votes)
- It's the third Bridget Jones book: Could have been a good idea, but I DO HAVE NOTES, YES I DO, and I'm giving them in the comments section (4%, 121 Votes)
Total Voters: 2,900