Of course, the big royals news of the week was Prince George’s birthday, and also of course, we covered the cake out of it:
- The new solo shot!
- The new pictures with Wills and Kate and her still mostly concealed Susannah dress
- THE YEAR ONE RETROSPECTIVE.
Other things are afoot, though, and the slideshow is full of them. Letizia and Felipe went to Paris (where she looked fabulous)! Crown Princess Mary looked insanely glam in a caftan and sunglasses! Queen Mathilde of Belgium took on the Giant Hat Duties! The British royals have been cheering enthusiastically at the Commonwealth Games (QE2 appears to be having the best time; Wills and Kate and Harry are going next week, so I assume we’ll see the return of Joyful Victorious Hugs)! LIPSTICK IS APPLIED.
- QE2 is in fact having SUCH a good time at the Commonwealth Games that she has taken to photobombing people, with a giant smile on her face. I’m not kidding. The pictures are amazing. (People)
- People also has all the deets on Prince George’s birthday party. Harry jumped out of a cake! (Not really. OR DID HE?)
- People ALSO spoke to an astrologer about what the year holds for George and she swears Kate’s going to have a baby. GO PLACE YOUR BETS. (I think the current round of gossip will either get stronger or die once we see what she wears next week. If it’s a tent, IT’S ON.)
- ALSO in People — People does have top-notch royals coverage — their main royals reporter and chief foreign correspondent Simon Perry talks about covering George this year.
- The Queen’s Guard covered the Game of Thrones theme song at the Changing of the Guard last week. It’s pretty awesome.
- Elle created these hilarious Prince George Emojis.
- THE QUEEN’S HORSE IS ON DRUGS. Time for the world’s best episode of Intervention. (The Express)
- Obviously, some crazy company created diamond-encrusted nail clippers worth ONE MILLION POUNDS for Prince George’s birthday because who doesn’t have a spare million pounds rattling about. (The Mirror)
- Vanity Fair looks at the rest of the Royal Children of the World.
- Royals Central examines unusual royal middle names.
[Photos: Getty, Jesal/Tanna, Splash News]