Happy Friday, everyone! Hope your holiday shopping is going well. Mine…let’s just say I need to take stock today and see what’s actually happening. (It felt like a miracle that I even got my Christmas tree up.)
Housekeeping note: If you are one of the people who tried to register for a commenting account here and your email never appeared and you got stuck in a weird and annoying limbo, try logging in now. It might work. Cross your fingers.
– Ta-Nehisi Coates has a piece in The Atlantic this week that is incredibly well-worth your time: My President Was Black.
– At Racked, this is fascinating: Cuba, in Clothes
– Refinery29 wonders: Is 2016 The End Of The It Girl?
– Did you know there’s a 1000-year-old lost city under the St Louis suburbs? Me either. [Ars Technica]
– I’d like to introduce you to two American heroes: Two Sex Shop Employees Ward Off Alleged Robber With Dildos. These women are the best. To wit: “The alleged robber got more than he bargained for when one employee—identified by ABC 7 only as Amy—decided she didn’t have time for his shenanigans. ‘I just thought he was trying to be funny, to scare us. But then I saw the gun and it was like, really? I don’t have time for this,’ she said. Amy suspected that the gun he was carrying was a fake, and was not scared. She instead described herself as ‘really irritated.'” Amy does not have time for your shit, you guys. [LAist]
– At Fashionista: Diversity on Magazine Covers Widely Improved in 2016. (Although there’s a lot of way to go.)
– Oh my god: Sebastian Stan to play the Jeff Gillooly to Margot Robbie’s Tonya Harding. I AM THERE. [The AV Club]
– At The Washington Post, from one of my writerly heroes, Robin Givhan: The fashion industry really wants you to wear pajamas on the street. Don’t do it!
– Relevant to our interests, at Blastr: Ranking the sweet space capes of Star Wars
– Also at Lainey: Yeah, that Hollywood Reporter animation roundtable — where a bunch of white dudes talk about diversity and less stereotypical female characters (!!!!!!) — was a total shitshow.
– Craig Sager — the wonderful sports reporter with a penchant for snazzy blazers — died yesterday. ESPN has a lovely remembrance of him; Steve Kerr led a really moving “moment of joy” for him before yesterday’s Warriors/Knicks game.
– An interesting read from Anne Helen Peterson at Buzzfeed: The Key To Trump Is Reading Him Like A Celebrity
– Slate runs down the many many many many classic movie references in La La Land.
– Celebitchy reports that K Stew has a new girlfriend.
And in case you missed it here at GFY, we launched a new layout for longer form pieces, and of course the inaugural one is about Top Model.
We also concluded our recaps of Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life
And, in case you missed it last week, OUR GIFT GUIDE!