Alert! The Oscars are THIS SUNDAY, so get ready — and check out our retrospective of the 2008 red carpet to get in the mood.
– At Deadspin: The 2018 Hater’s Guide To The Oscars (it is as cranky as the title implies and also there are spoilers ahoy, so now you know). To wit: “Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread. Just retire, okay? Derrick Rose has had more fake retirements than this man. What are you gonna do all day if you can’t act, Daniel? Huh? You gonna hike around Europe and drink wine and eat good food and take up woodworking? Actually that sounds pretty solid. I can’t argue with that plan, really. Acting BLOWS. You ever see a call sheet? Actors have to report to the makeup at, like, 2:45 am. What an awful fucking job. Anyway, you should mean it when you retire, dammit.”
– Slate brings us Heathers on Heathers: Three culture writers with a common first name on the ’80s cult classic and the doomed TV reboot, one of whom is our Heather.
– At SF Gate: Here’s Every Best Costume Design Winner in Oscar History
– At Lainey: I honestly keep forgetting that Taylor Swift is even dating anyone right now. Does this mean it’s for real? Or are we just all sorta tapped out on Taylor Swift Romantic Gossip?
– Buzzfeed opines: Taylor Kitsch Is The Most Charming Man On Instagram
– This is neat, at Smith: Ask a Librarian. For example: “When librarians were asked something novel or difficult, they’d often write the question down on a piece of card and file it away for future reference. A box of these cards from the ’40s was recently unearthed at the New York Public Library, and they’re every bit as hilarious as you’d expect somebody’s Google queries from 50 years ago to be. A litany of the quandaries that kept our forefathers up at night, the questions range from the serious (“Is there a law whereby a child can become unrelated to its parent if they don’t like each other?”, 1961) to the inane (“Why do 18th century English paintings have so many squirrels in them, and how did they tame them so that they wouldn’t bite the painter?”, 1976).”
– At Atlas Obscura: The Best Things Found Between the Pages of Old Books
– At Revelist: Oscar beauty through the years!
– At Celebitchy: Ryan Seacrest’s sexual harassment situation has blown up ahead of the Oscars. This should be interesting; I wonder how E! plans to handle this on Sunday. It seems that Ryan still plans to host the red carpet, but Page Six reports that a lot of stars don’t want to talk to him, and will either skip E! all together, or go talk to Giuliana instead.