Our new book, The Royal We, comes out on April 7th – less than two weeks from now — and we are so excited for everyone to get to read it at last (or, if you’ve read the free preview of the first seven chapters, to read the rest of it). To celebrate our impending book birthday, we’re delighted to be giving away three prize packs to Fug Nation. Let’s cut right to the chase. All three winners will receive:
- An autographed copy of The Royal We
- An adorable Harrods shopping bag, in its London Icons pattern. For toting your book AND your snacks, of course.
- A Union Jack/American flag lapel pin, as featured on the back of the book (and actually inside the book as well, which we promise is not a spoiler).
- Your own stash of Cracker Jack. (There is also a book-related reason for this. You’ll soon see.)
One grand prize winner gets all of the above, PLUS:
- A cheesy-fabulous mug commemorating Wills and Kate’s wedding. Click through to the slideshow to get a better look at it, and a bunch of these items, like the pin and a close-up of the pattern on the tote.
- A copy of Robe, which is, to quote our friends at the Royal Collection, “the fashion magazine the world has been waiting for, for the last 350 years, and your handy introduction to all that is best in seventeenth-century haute-couture.” One of the cover lines is “Face Patches: Dos and Dont’s.” It’s highly amusing.
- A posh glass tumbler from Windsor Castle. IT’S GILDED. Your toothbrush might want to live in something gilded, don’t you think? Or you can use it for your scotch while you stand on your balcony and think about all your loyal subjects and/or how to ruin people.
- A red Buckingham Palace pen, clearly what the Queen uses to write love notes to people… or her hate mail. We hope you use it for a bit of both.
And, the best part: This contest is open to everyone, regardless of where you live.
Finally, a reminder: If you live in NYC or D.C., we have a signing coming up in each town, and we’d love to see your fabulous faces. In New York we’re at Book Culture on Columbus on April 7, at 7 p.m.; in DC, we’re at Kramerbooks (which has a BAR) on April 9 at 6:30 p.m.
After the jump, there’s more info about the book, some of our lovely blurbs and reviews thus far — and all the info you could possibly need if you’d like to pre-order The Royal We and not have to worry about such pesky details as dates and days.
If you’d like to enter to win the book early, and get some of these extra treats, simply leave a comment letting us know who your favorite Royal personage is – Princess Anne! THE QUEEN! Harry! William! Kate! Princess Michael of Kent (you’re really into cat portraiture)! Crown Princess Mary (you don’t have to swing British)! Henry VIII (you can pick someone who’s dead)! The contest ends on Tuesday, March 31st at 9pm PST, and the winners will be picked at random. Good luck, and happy reading.
The jacket copy reads:
I might be Cinderella today, but I dread who they’ll think I am tomorrow. I guess it depends on what I do next.
American Rebecca Porter was never one for fairy-tales. Her twin sister, Lacey, has always been the romantic who fantasized about glamour and royalty, fame and fortune. Yet it’s Bex who seeks adventure at Oxford and finds herself living down the hall from Prince Nicholas, Great Britain’s future king. And when Bex can’t resist falling for Nick, the person behind the prince, it propels her into a world she did not expect to inhabit, under a spotlight she is not prepared to face.
Dating Nick immerses Bex in ritzy society, dazzling ski trips, and dinners at Kensington Palace with him and his charming, troublesome brother Freddie. But the relationship also comes with unimaginable baggage: hysterical tabloids, Nick’s sparkling and far more suitable ex-girlfriends, and a royal family whose private life is much thornier and more tragic than anyone on the outside knows. The pressures are almost too much to bear, as Bex struggles to reconcile the man she loves with the monarch he’s fated to become.
Which is how she gets into trouble.
Now, on the eve of the wedding of the century, Bex is faced with whether everything she’s sacrificed for love — her career, her home, her family, maybe even herself – will have been for nothing.
Spanning nearly a decade, THE ROYAL WE is a richly imagined, emotionally compelling novel that examines, with warmth and wit, what truly happens after your prince has come.
And all the nice things people have said include:
“Pages of biting humor and breathtaking glamour rewrite a fairy tale into something more satisfying than a stack of tabloids.” - Kirkus
“The authors hit all the right notes in this funny, smart, emotional tale.” — Library Journal, starred review
“Cocks and Morgan tackled their first dip into mainstream fiction for adults and nailed it. The Royal We is a ‘wonderful tale of young love, peppered with animated characters, difficult hardships and self-discovery.” — RT Book Reviews
“This delightful spin on the story of Prince William and Kate Middleton is the perfect beachy, weekend read for anyone who loves love stories with a healthy dose of humor…. Part fairy tale, part cautionary tale, the novel is pure fun from start to finish.” — Library Reads (Top 10 Pick for April, 2015)
“The Royal We is full of love and humor, and delicious in too many ways to mention in one little blurb. I read this novel as quickly as I could, relishing any few minutes I had to turn back to its pages. An absolute delight.”
“A joy from start to finish. The Royal We is that rare novel that makes you think, makes you cry, and is such fun to read that you’ll want to clear your schedule until you’ve turned the final page. But be warned–Cocks and Morgan have created a world so rich, a romance so compelling, and characters so funny and alive, that you’ll be terribly sad to see them go.”
“The Royal We is as engrossing and deeply satisfying as any royal wedding documentary, and it’s a thousand times more fun, from the fairy tale to the inevitable foibles. You will want Bex Porter to be your best friend. You will feel the same way about Cocks and Morgan, who are warm, witty, hilarious, and moving in their depiction of a very complicated relationship indeed.”
“A heartfelt exploration of a life lived in the spotlight, The Royal We balances dishy decadence with an honest look at the sacrifices required to stay princess to Prince Charming.“
The Royal We is released into the world on April 7th, 2015, but you can pre-order it now:
Can’t decide? You can also read the first seven chapters for free!