This Royals Round-Up has many items in which you are potentially interested: American weddings! Weird cake toppers! Hats! Gowns! Tiaras! Ceremonial ensembles! Kate’s beige patent LK Bennett heels, albeit not on Kate (whom I assume is still sitting on the sofa at home yawning with her hair in a ponytail while the baby tries to stick priceless artifacts in his mouth)! Fatigues! A question about cows!
Additionally, big thanks to those of you who recommended The Heir Apparent: A Life of Edward VII, the Playboy Prince in the comments last week. I’m reading it right now, and it’s fascinating and excellent. Queen Victoria comes across like a total pain in the bustle. Read it so we can discuss!
For your reading pleasure elsewhere:
– The Memphis Wedding that Harry and William attended last weekend sounds like quite a party. The Telegraph’s story uses the word “twerking” and apparently William got up on stage and sang, which we know he has a tendency to do, both from that time he got up and sang with Bon Jovi and also from that scene in the amazing/boring Wills and Kate Lifetime movie I recapped three years ago, and stumbled upon yesterday when I was looking for something else. (If you are bored, a re-read may prove entertaining.) William apparently really had a good time. He likes a good wedding.
–People has an excellent recap of the weekend’s shenanigans. You know I love how People always tells us what people ate at every turn. Thank you for indulging me, People.
– Although Wills looks a bit cranky at Graceland, probably because (a) the press were everywhere in Memphis and it was insane (b) one of girls they’re visiting Graceland with seems like a pain (she’s not in those photos, but I saw snaps where she’s pretending she’s going to flash the paparazzi her bra; like, calm down, sister, you’re not helping), (c) People, as seen above, reported that he ate nachos on his lay-over and now Kate knows he’s cheating on his diet, and (d) everyone got to wear Elvis glasses but him. Heavy is the head that wears the crown eventually.
– Hello! also has loads of snaps of the weekend. So many snaps.
– William took economy for part of the trip. Can you imagine trundling onto that plane and stumbling past him? I would have been like, “HI I JUST HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS DO YOU MIND?” (That’s from The Daily Mail I KNOW)
– The Express thinks that part of the Cressy/Harry bust-up stems from…one of the new shows on Bravo this season. ANDY COHEN STRIKES AGAIN!
– Tom Sykes over at the Daily Beast has a very interesting piece theorizing that part of the reason for the break-up was a discussion about Cressida’s red sneakers — and what they represent. (There’s more to it than that; it’s an interesting read, in part about how Kate is very skilled at picking her battles in a way that another person might not be.)
– Prince George is getting a flower named after him. AS WELL HE SHOULD. The Grand Snugglenoodle SquashyThigh Rose. (Royals Central)
– Speaking of babies, Mike Tindall took baby Mia out onto the rugby pitch and if you’re interested in muscular sportsmen toting infants, this is for you. (Hello!)
– The Court Jeweller counts down ten of the world’s “maddest tiaras.” And it’s so fun.
– Tatler has a piece about fabulous outfits at British racing events, which I am sticking here and not in Fugs & Pieces because half of the mentioned are royals. There’s a shot of Diana looking delighted and Charles looking cranky as hell; he must have lost some cashola. I LOVE old photos of people at the races! So very many hats. (Tatler)
– And speaking of Royal Ascot, Pippa’s penned a guide for Vanity Fair. I am surprised that she only went for the first time LAST year, though I guess Kate has NEVER been, sooo. Anyway, it’s rather fun and instructional. To wit: “one of the most entertaining parts of Royal Ascot is spotting the extraordinary hats, which last year included everything from a serving of Mr. Whippy 99 Flake ice cream to a full English breakfast to a fanciful turban, a three-tiered cake, a macaroon stand, and a black swan.”