The first Royals Round-Up of the new year! I hope I didn’t miss anything that happened over the last couple of weeks. I’ve got babies for you! (I mean, to look at. You don’t need to take them home or anything.) Harry in a tee shirt! A visit from a variety of Japanese princesses! Tiaras!
Speaking of the last few weeks, we did have some royals coverage over the break:
- Coverage of the British RF’s Christmas Walk to Church — AKA The Annual Holding of the Hands – is here.
- And we did a ton of year-end wrap-ups, which you may have missed. To wit:
And elsewhere around the Internet, we have A LOT TO DISCUSS:
- Today is Kate’s birthday! Happy birthday, Kate. I hope William brought home a giant box that was just FULL of blue and white striped tops. Like, thirty-seven blue and white tops. People says she and Wills are celebrating with hookers and blow — whoops, I read that wrong. People says she’s having a low-key celebration at home. (She’s got like six outings on the docket for the next week or so, so get ready, everyone.)
- Vogue UK has a GINORMOUS look at Kate’s fashion in honor of her birthday. (Literally, it starts when she’s a toddler.)
- The CBC looks at all of this drama currently surrounding Prince Andrew, who I have to think is five minutes away from getting locked in the Tower. (I read elsewhere that The Queen is not worked up about this, but…I feel like at the very least, girlfriend has to be irked.)
- Maclean’s also has an excellent and exhaustive look at the escandelo. I sympathize with Fergie, but maybe announcing that he is “the greatest man in the world!” is kind of hyperbolic at the moment.
- Pippa’s penned her last column for Vanity Fair, about the world’s best ski resorts. I feel for Pippa. She probably should move to New York (as Us Weekly told me she might. They ALSO think she and Nico “Bounder” Jackson are on the super-outs.) Maybe she could go work for GOOP! Seriously. I actually think Pippa’s columns are somewhat GOOP-ian and it might be a good fit. YOU’RE WELCOME, PIPS.
- Edward and Sophie announced their engagement sixteen years ago this week; the HRH Sophie Wessex blog takes a look back.
- Sophie is also in this month’s Harper’s Bazaar. She looks fabulous, honestly. Her birthday is ALSO coming up; happy b-day, Soph.
- The Court Jeweller does an amazing Tiara Timeline for the rubies that Crown Princess Mary is wearing in the slideshow.
- Over the holidays, The Telegraph ran a story with the following intro: As the Infanta Cristina of Spain faces trial for alleged tax fraud, we round up some of the Continent’s other raucous royals. LET’S! (Ignore the fact that, for the purposes of the piece, they’re considering Maxima and Letizia princesses.)
- The Express thinks Wills and Kate’s new place has a ghost (and that they’re like, “meh, every old house in England has a ghost”). I LOVE Stories About Old Homes in The UK That Have Interesting Ghosts.
- People has a very interesting piece about the various relationships between Royal Siblings, a subject of MUCH interest to me.
- Speaking of siblings, Hello! has coverage of the Presentation of the Twins of Monaco. I feel like if I were Princess Gabriella, I wouldn’t be so thrilled that my younger brother got to be head cheese, just because he’s a dude. BOO PRIMOGENITURE.
- ALSO speaking of siblings, I enjoyed this bit over at the Telegraph about Wills and Harry “sneaking” in and out of Cirencester Park Polo Club to whack at balls. No shocker, Harry is described as “someone who gets in there and gets his hands dirty.”