I can’t believe the Olympics are almost over! If you’re a super-fit athlete, do you want to just come over and hang out at my house to help me ease out of this? Thanks!
– Via Celebitchy, Taylor Swift gave a million dollars to victims of the floods in Louisiana. Good for her. I hope all our Fug Nationals in Louisiana are safe and dry right now. The Red Cross says this is the worst natural disaster in the US since Hurricane Sandy; they are accepting donations and offer ways to help here. As always, if you are aware of other opportunities to help, please feel free to share them in the comments.
– This piece from Sara Benincasa (at Medium) is great. A man emailed her to ask her why she’s gotten so fat. She takes him to school. (This reminded me of the time someone emailed me out of the blue to let me know that it was quite obvious why Heather was married and I was not. It’s because I lack “sparkle,” if you’re wondering.)
– Oooooh, look at the secret libraries of history! [BBC]
– I was, like, frozen with indecision when the time came to choose a story about this BONKERS INSANITY that Ryan Lochte pulled in Rio this week. In the end, I went with the Washington Post’s take: “Ryan Lochte is the dumbest bell that ever rang. The 32-year-old swimmer is so landlocked in juvenility that he pulled an all-nighter with guys young enough to call him uncle. His story to NBC’s Billy ‘what-are-you-wearing’ Bush had the quality of a kid exaggerating the size of a fish, and notice how he was the hero of every detail. That was always the most dubious, implausible part.”
– I also loved this piece from David Mahoney, on Medium: Ryan Lochte Uses Olympic Spotlight to Bravely Come Out as Total Douchebag. “Lochte considers this a brave new world for douchebags everywhere. ‘It’s cool, bro,’ he said. ‘There’s no need to thank me.'”
– This Buzzfeed longform is one hell of a read: Dee Dee Wanted Her Daughter To Be Sick, Gypsy Wanted Her Mom To Be Murdered
– Apartment Therapy examines a very interesting habit of TV viewers (with a lovely shout-out to us in the process).
– Maureen Ryan’s take on the Amy Schumer/Kurt Metzger palaver is well worth your time, at Variety.
– You’re going to want to read this interview with Daveed Diggs about personal style. [The Window]
– Over at Lainey, an update on whatever could possibly be going on with Hiddleswift.
– I also appreciate Lainey breaking down whatever the hell happened with Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez this week, because I missed the beginning of it and never quite figured it out. (After she posted this, The Biebs took down his Instagram entirely, at least for a bit. KIDS. PUT DOWN YOUR PHONES. MY GOD.)
– It’s a history of synchronized swimming! [Smithsonian]
– Pajiba has informed me that I’m going to chuck it all and join the world armwrestling league.
– Lit Hub tells you How to Arrange Your Kitchen According to Julia Child
– I think you will respond to this piece on Girls of a Certain Age, which is a salute to the enduring appeal of the striped shirt.
– This is an amazing piece at Elle: What it Really Takes to Get the Perfect Street Style Shot
– Via The New Potato, I’m totally going to make these Strawberry Rose Popsicles.
And, in case you missed it here at GFY, here are some highlights this week:
- We celebrated the hot bodies of Olympic swimmers and divers…
- …and gymnasts….
- …and track and field stars.
- And also leotards are awesome!
- So awesome we covered them twice.
- We looked at ALL the stripes celebs wore this summer.
- And talked about our very favorite beauty products.
- This Nylon cover of Winona Ryder is AMAZING.
- Most of you hate mules. The shoe, not the animal.