Another week in the books! Please enjoy:
– I LOVE the series on Vulture where Dave Holmes talks about the top forty songs of a week in history. This week, it’s June 16, 1990. For example, “One of the ’90s’ great mysteries is the enduring popularity of Alannah Myles’ “Black Velvet,” a Contempo Casuals leather jacket of a song that you will hear every karaoke night to this day,” and “Nikki looked like Lovesexy-era Prince, sounded like Tommy Page, probably got played on John Garabedian’s “Open House Party” a few times, and then went on to marry Martika, which is a fact I am just learning right this second and which is ripping my head right off my neck with its pure uncut 1990-ness..” READ IT.
– A few weeks ago, I linked to The Hollywood Reporter’s actresses round-table, and today I bring you the dudes. HAMM INCLUDED. Spoilers if you’re not caught up with The Newsroom, Ray Donovan, Masters of Sex, The Normal Heart or, of course, Mad Men.
– THEY HAVE FOUND THE FIRST PANTS EVER. (Possibly.) (Science News)
– You will enjoy this interview with Joe Manganiello. (Buzzfeed)
– The whole scandal over the Qatar World Cup gets more and more fascinating. It’s like a documentary unfolding in front of us. I hope someone is making one. (Telegraph)
– WRT to the above, The NYT’s original match-fixing investigation is riveting.
– The Los Angeles Times has a great round-up of summer books. BOOKS YAY BOOKS!
– In the current Redbook, Melissa McCarthy drops a bomb: ” Two Oscars ago, I couldn’t find anybody to do a dress for me. I asked five or six designers—very high-level ones who make lots of dresses for people—and they all said no.” You know what? EFF THOSE GUYS. Seriously. First of all, if you’re a good designer, you ought to be able to dress a woman beautifully no matter what her weight. Second, if you’re a good businessperson, you should realize that Melissa damn McCarthy showing up at the damn Oscars looking damn good in your design is ONLY GOING TO HELP YOU, YOU NITWIT.
– The Guardian interviews Joan Collins and she is amazing. “If you could edit your past, what would you change? Several husbands.”
– Lainey says any divorce rumors swirling around Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman are BS, which is nice to hear.
– You’re going to be all over this, some of you I HOPE LITERALLY: 180 Hot Soccer Players to Watch During the World Cup. (Racked)
– I watch a lot of TV, and it’s true. Even I am not watching any of these 35 Least Watched Shows on TV. (Buzzfeed)
– I’ll just leave this here: Jem, the Truly Outrageous, Triple-Platinum ’80s Rocker Who Nearly Took Down Barbie. (Collectors Weekly)
–Vanity Fair has a great Making Of for Ghostbusters.
– This is a wonderful long-form piece about beloved broadcaster Vin Scully, which you will enjoy even if you are not a Dodgers fan. BUT I LOVE YOU THE MOST, VIN. (SB Nation)
– The Cut has compiled a list of Crazy Celebrity Wedding Locales.
– Here’s Bradley Cooper in VERY TIGHT short shorts. ENJOY! (Celebitchy)
– Peter Dinklage’s high school photo boasts the MOST AMAZING hair. (Pajiba)