Lots of drama this week, in the form of great British pomp and circumstance, enormous hats (Maxima), and the return of White Polo Pants season.
But first of all, a reminder that Heather and I will be visiting Chicago on June 6th for the Printer’s Row Lit Fest, and we’d LOVE to meet you, sign your copies of The Royal We, talk about Maxima’s hats and this blog or whatever else you like. All the details are here, and please let us know if you have any questions!
Speaking of The Royal We, we are delighted that Publisher’s Weekly just said, “Royal watchers and chick-lit fans alike will delight in this sparkling tale. Pure fun.” As you may know, we also made the New York Times Summer Reading List! So if you are still looking for a read for the summer…I guess you probably know my suggestion. ANYWAY, The book is out now everywhere in the US and Canada, and, UK/NZ/Aus readers, we will have some very good news for you soon. Please watch this space!
AND NOW, around the internets:
- Speaking of The Royal We, if you’ve read it, you know that quite a bit of it is set in the Sir John Soane Museum, and this is a FASCINATING bit in The Telegraph about his newly restored apartments — and all his models! — there.
- Wills gave a charming interview about soccerfootball ahead of the FA Cup Final which only confirms for me that he and Kate are like actual real sports fans. He also refers to her as “the missus.” (The Telegraph)
- Apparently, Harry has finally met Princess Charlotte. WE WANT PICTURES! (The Express)
- Royalista has LOADS of coverage of the W-A/Maxima trip to Canada, which you will enjoy
- This is interesting, over at The Guardian: The prince, the glamour model and the Vikings’ lost language: The marriage of Sofia Hellqvist to Prince Carl Philip of Sweden could help resurrect the once-banned Elfdalian tongue.
- And People has wedding gown predictions for Sofia (the wedding is June 13th; we will, of course, cover it).
- Over at The Duchess Diary, Kelly rounds up her favorite Royals Moments this May.
- King Harald of Norway visited Alaska! (Alaska Dispatch News)
- At Hello!…WHAT IS CHARLENE EVEN WEARING, YOU GUYS?
- Also from our friends at Hello! Princess Madeleine and family are moving to London, where I assume she and Kate will have playdates for the kids where they sit around and talk about their super secret hair mask recipes.
- The Court Jeweller has great intel on the jewels QE2 sported this week for the opening of Parliament.
- And finally, this is very amusing, as ever, at Tatler: Top Toff Jerks of History. To wit: “You know how it is when you’re king of England, Ireland and France. You can do what you bally well like. Sick of your wife? Just call her a liar and a baby-repeller before having her bundled off so you can shack up with your flouncy new girlfriend. But wait – the law won’t let you marry the flouncy girlfriend because of some poncy pontiff in Rome? Well, f”‘*k that for a game of cards. Change the entire religion of the country. Burn down some monasteries and make yourself the boss.Tell everyone God said you could. If people don’t like it, fine -let’s see them complain WITH NO HEAD.”
- And this is wonderful, about Mette-Marit, at People: “For the second year in a row, the Scandinavian royal, 41, is embarking on a literacy tour of her scenic homeland – and once again, she’s transforming her royal carriage into a rolling library. The carriage, known as the ‘Train of Literature,’ will make several stops in Norway, where the princess will meet with locals to encourage a love of reading.”