In this here slideshow, Queen Maxima sports not one but TWO crazy hats, because she’s the best. Plus, more Harry, a dash of Queen Letizia, some CRAZY PANTS, and a handful of Kate covers.
Here on GFY this week:
- Her Majesty eyeballed the Iron Throne.
- We eyeballed the end of Royal Ascot.
- We also may have eyeballed the ends of certain people whilst they played polo. (Also other things, like shirtless swimmers and small adorable children playing soccer, and red-headed princes watching the World Cup.)
- Harry, in fact, was out quite a bit this week, as he toured Brazil. (We’ll get the rest of his trip tomorrow; it’s like seriously all him playing blocks with tiny children. I am just waiting for the pictures to roll in.)
And ELSEWHERE for your Royals Reading Pleasure:
- There’s video of the Queen visiting Westeros and it involves a crazy outfit on Lena Headey and Prince Philip brandishing a weapon. (i09)
- Harry thanks the Brazilians for showing him a good time in what is allegedly the “first ever royal video message.” Let’s call it the first OFFICIAL royal video message. He really does have a lovely voice. You know we American girls cannot resist a British accent. I also enjoy that you can hear, like, a helicopter in the background. I assume he just hangs onto a rope ladder trailing off of one in order to leave the country in style. (Telegraph)
- This is only quasi-royal related, but I think you will all enjoy. Mental Floss is — well, let me just tell you what they said: “The First World War was an unprecedented catastrophe that killed millions and set the continent of Europe on the path to further calamity two decades later. But it didn’t come out of nowhere. With the centennial of the outbreak of hostilities coming up in August, Erik Sass will be looking back at the lead-up to the war, when seemingly minor moments of friction accumulated until the situation was ready to explode. He’ll be covering those events 100 years after they occurred. ” This week looks at the final days of Archduke Ferdinand.
- Also only marginally on-topic but whatever. Here’s the first teaser trailer for the new season of Downton Abbey. It reveals NOTHING. (Some casting spoilers in the piece, though.)
- Royal Roundup (not this one!) takes a look at the Six Felipes of Spain.
- This is an interesting article about The Georgians, from Lucy Worsley, who is both the writer of mystery novels and Chief Curator at Historic Royal Palaces.
- This article has everything that I love in it. Here is the headline: “Joan Collins: ‘Duchess Kate is a brilliant role model’” She then talks about the time Marlon Brando binged on all her ice cream and how we all need to wear foundation for the health of our skin. I treasure her. (Hello!)
- Prince William’s birthday was this past weekend and the Astro Twins (whom I love) did a forecast of his year ahead for People. (They think Harry is going to get married. TEAM EDWINA.)
- I CANNOT BELIEVE I forgot to share that last week Princess Anne opened up — I am not kidding — “A new £75 million crime-fighting center tasked with targeting serious organized criminals.” An area of interest, Anne????
- Matt Lauer interviewed Pippa — rumor has it that Today is going to HIRE Pippa as a Special Correspondent — and she tells him that Kate is a hideous she-beast nightmare who’s actually a cat burglar (No. She says they get along great and are really close; which, actually I don’t necessarily doubt. William and Kate seem to get along really well with the Middletons and they spend a lot of time together. It just always cracks me up when people act like she would say anything OTHER than, “nope, things are great.” OF COURSE she’s going to say they’re really close. She can’t be like, “well, her marrying a prince has been f’ing surreal, Matt, and in a lot of ways it’s put a great strain on our relationship despite our best efforts.” Can you tell that the relationship between sisters when one of them gets into a high profile relationship is on my mind? Our book deadline is Tuesday. Why am I still typing this?) (E!)
- LAST MINUTE ADD (my WiFi crapped out before I could do one last news sweep this morning; I now come to you from the park. This is the live-bloggiest Royals Round-Up ever. Shall I tell you what I’m going to have for lunch, also?): Sweden’s Prince Carl Philip is ENGAGED and apparently there IS some SCANDALE. I am linking you to the Daily Mail I KNOW because, as always, they have the most pictures of this blessed announcement. And also because their coverage included this sentence: “In 2012, the prince hit headlines over his ‘Wild Summer’ which included him being slapped during a night out in Cannes, hitting the Swedish party scene wearing an alien mask, losing his Gucci wallet and hitch-hiking his way to a motoring competition where he crashed his car in the first race.” I cannot wait for this wedding. THE WIKIPEDIA GOSSIP SHALL BE GLORIOUS.