Why yes, it IS Thursday. We are kicking off early this week to celebrate the 4th of July holiday (and also because all the celebs have ALSO kicked off early this week and we have nothing to talk about). But never fear! Princess Charlotte’s christening is happening on Sunday (yes, George is scheduled to attend), and I will be back at my desk to cover it here — as well as any potential Royals Wimbledon Appearances (although Wills and Kate aren’t supposed to attend until Wednesday)– so make sure to pop back in before Monday, in between your BBQing and cocktailing and setting off fireworks and swimming and falling in love over potato salad (I decided you’re going to fall in love with someone over potato salad) this weekend. This week’s Royals Round-Up brings you ice cream and maxi-dresses, which also seems seasonally appropriate, but not a ton of actual people, because they’re all holed up in their country houses with a G&T right now.
PS: If you are looking for something to read this long holiday weekend, and you haven’t read THE ROYAL WE yet, here is a gentle suggestion that you take it to the beach/pool/BBQ/silent retreat/family reunion this weekend! (Readers in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, the e-book will finally be available for you as of [I am pretty sure] July 15th!) Also! If you missed it when we posted it originally, here’s the post detailing how we created the alternate universe for the Lyons dynasty to exist whilst not rewriting ALL of British history.
While we wait for all that good stuff to happen, please enjoy:
- This enormous British Vogue slideshow dates from several years ago, but was re-posted on the occasion of Princess Diana’s birthday yesterday, and it’s a good one. Tons of picture of her, from events to polo games. The 80s were intense. (I think even she would agree.)
- Mario Testino is taking the official christening portraits — he didn’t take the snaps of George’s christening, but he did do Wills and Kate’s engagement photos, so this isn’t a huge surprise. (People)
- Hello! has LOADS of christening details. It sounds like we’re basically going to get a replay of the Christmas Morning Walk to Church. Whee!
- All the flowers from the christening are being donated to the children’s hospice of which Kate is a patron. (People)
- Heather and I wrote a piece for The Toast that I think you will enjoy. It’s part of one of my favorite of their features, and it’s called If Prince Harry Were Your Boyfriend.
- You’ll enjoy these bit of juicy speculation at The Daily Beast: Why Prince Philip Can’t Forgive Fergie. It blessedly includes the word “nemesis.” DUM DUM DUMMMMM!
- People is getting us all prepped and ready for the Pierre Casiraghi and Beatrice Borromeo wedding next month. HER FAMILY OWNS A GROUP OF ISLANDS. Why don’t WE have even ONE island, Fug Nation?
- Princess Charlene put on her wetsuit to give water safety lessons, which seems like 100% the perfect sort of outing for her. More of this! (People)
- This is awesome. Luxarazzi is doing what is essentially Fug Madness for the many tiaras of Luxembourg (except fabulous).
- Order of Splendor is doing an excellent job covering Queen Letizia and King Felipe’s state visit to Mexico.
- I recently got an email from one of you asking me to cover the Bhutan royals more — they are very attractive people — and I usually can’t, because I never have photos of them. But Royalista does! (Apparently, I need to sign up to get notices from the Bhutan Royals Media office. Now I know!)
- Speaking of Wimbledon, our friends at Kate’s Clothes are taking a look back at her Wimbledon wardrobe. I LOVE YOU ZIMMERMAN DRESS.
- Why is Wills never flying in coach when I am flying in coach? (People)
- I always enjoy the HRH Duchess Kate blog, and today’s round-up is extra good.
- Over at The Court Jeweller, they’re looking at Crown Princess Victoria’s most iconic tiara.