NO ONE is having a better time at the Olympics than Prince Albert. HE IS HAVING THE BEST TIME. (Charlene stayed home because of Zika.) The slideshow today brings Olympics shenanigans, a few fab day dresses, a cute baby, a random royal-ish wedding, and MORE BOATING.
Elsewhere of interest, you may enjoy the following:
– This is super-interesting, in The Independent: Dark Ages royal palace discovered in Cornwall – in area closely linked to the legend of King Arthur
– Princess Eugenie had a big interview — and photo shoot — in Harper’s Bazaar. I chuckled at this bit: “6:00 P.M. I’ll go home, change, and go to the event. I love trying new looks. I don’t want to be pigeonholed. You wear the same thing twice? Great. If you don’t, great!”
– Speaking of the Sisters York, I’m sure you’ve heard that Princess Beatrice and her boyfriend, Dave Clark, are “on a break”/dunzo. Onward and upward, Bea!
– Hello! (of course) has all the deets on an obscure Euro Royals Wedding that’s set for next summer, which will be enjoyable because they always are, but the best part of this article is the kicker: “Princess Caroline of Monaco would not attend given that she is estranged, but not divorced, from her husband Prince Ernst.” I love a royal estrangement!
– The Duke of Westminster died suddenly this week at 64, leaving literally billions and his ginormous estate to his 25 year-old son, who is Prince George’s godfather. I am linking to the Daily Mail’s coverage of this because, say what you will about them, they generally have the most obscure and fascinating details about posh personages, and this includes a very interesting sidebar about the family’s wealth as it began in literally the 17th century.
– I could read about this particular tiara ALL DAY. [Order of Splendor]
– The Guardian has a fascinating piece about Emperor Akhito’s desire to retire, and the complicated political situation in Japan as it relates to their Imperial family. I am less informed about the history of the Imperial House of Japan than I am about, say, the Brits, and I would love to learn more, so if you have any book recommendations, please let me know in the comments.
Speaking of books, I mentioned this in a post earlier this week about good vacation reads, but I’m currently reading Daughter of Empire: My Life as a Mountbatten, as recommended here, and it is JUICY. I really think if you enjoy Royals Round-Up, you will find it highly entertaining.