For some reason, they saw the need to spread the Creative Arts Emmys — already jettisoned from the regular Emmy telecast — across two nights. They took place this weekend, in advance of next Monday night’s regular Primetime Emmy Awards, and it might interest you to know:
- Performers of color swept the guest actor categories for the first time in history. Ron Cephas-Jones, Tiffany Haddish, Katt Williams, and Samira Wiley each won: RCJ is so wonderful in This Is Us, and I wish he’d won last season, so this is a nice reward for what he brings to that show in what are now VERY limited opportunities; Samira won for Handmaid’s Tale, Katt for Atlanta, and Tiffany for hosting SNL.
- John Legend, Andrew Lloyd-Webber, and Tim Rice all have EGOTs now
- Anthony Bourdain won six awards posthumously.
- Queer Eye won for Best Structured Reality Show
- The U.S.S. Callister episode of Black Mirror won something, which is fitting, as it’s great
- The Crown won for costumes, cinematography, and casting
- American Crime Story: Versace Etc. won a whole bag of stuff, including casting.