This week has been… well, the word I started to write was “difficult,” but “difficult” is for sure not strong enough a descriptor. TOTALLY AWFUL feels more accurate. Heather covered this more articulately than I will earlier today, but mostly I hope you are doing okay. I wish Fug Nation was connected by a series of pneumatic tubes through which I could distribute alcohol and cheese and cake. Please take care of yourselves.
– Also utterly heartbreaking — truly, something beyond heartbreaking — is Doreen St Felix on the murder of Philando Castile, at MTV.
– Ashley Weatherford also wrote a thoughtful and moving piece about the events of the last three days for The Cut. I am sure there has been a lot of other good writing to have come out this week, that I have missed, especially today. Please, as always, feel free to share them in the comments.
– Over at Pajiba, Sulu is going to be openly gay in the new Star Trek movie.
– That said, George Takai isn’t thrilled with this development. (THR)
– I loved everything about this story at Elle: What’s Zendaya Got to Do With Celine Dion’s Sudden Style Transformation? As I said on Twitter, Zendaya and Celine joining forces could be a powerful source for goodness.
– The Wine Show — in which Matthews Rhys and Goode tootle around Italy and drink wine and act charming — is coming to Hulu, which is great news. (Vulture)
– This appealed to me as a lover of beauty products and as a hoarder, at Racked: The Smithsonian Is Archiving All Our Beauty Concerns
– Speaking of hoarding, this was a really really good piece at the New York Times about Marie Kondo. (Personally, I’m not KonMari’ing ANYTHING. The world is a dumpster fire, let me keep my freaking collection of royal wedding magazines.)
– The A/V Club had a fascinating interview with Terry Dresbach, Outlander’s costume designer.
– At Lainey, hot hot Idris Elba.
–Variety explains Why Plunging Into ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ on Netflix Makes Sense. (I agree. It is both wonderful and smart, and I think it might bring you happiness.)
– This is a diverting look at retro cigarette lighters, which I always want to buy even though I do not smoke. (Hyperallergic)
– Thank you to Vulture for including The Royal We on their list of 20 books to bring to the beach this summer!
– Via Celebitchy, ALLEGEDLY Tim Hiddleston is already tired of all the photo ops with TayTay, which I don’t believe at all. He knew the drill going into this. Can they please run away and get married? We need diverting gossip!
And, in case you missed it here this week, some highlights:
- We covered the many tennis dresses of Wimbledon
- And celebs who came out to Wimbledon!
- And the hotness of Idris Elba
- And the sideboob of Margot Robbie
- And the wisdom of Karl Lagerfeld
- And loads of looks from Couture Week, like the gloriousness of Ralph & Russo
- And the wonder that is J Mendel
- The delicious fluffiness of Giambattista Valli
- We came up with a name for Janelle Monae’s enduring awesomeness