HARRY (allegedly) HAS A NEW GIRLFRIEND. I think she looks very much like Kate. (There’s a rumor that Chelsy Davy is engaged, so it’s possible poor Harry is merely burying his long-simmering romantic devastation in a new lady [there are long-standing theories that Chelsy is The One Who Got Away], but this one does seem suitably sporty + charity minded, although her name is Camilla, so we’re going to have to come up with a nickname to differentiate between her and Camilla The First, if she proves to have staying power. But my snap judgement based on basically nothing is that I’ve decided I like this one. Kate, come on. Email me the scoop. Surely you’re reading this on your phone, in Scotland.)
Anyway, we’re light on pictures of the Brits this week — Kate and Wills have stuff planned for September, kicking off with an event in Oxford next week-ish, so we will not be bereft that long — and nada from Spain or Monaco or the Netherlands, but Denmark and Sweden are holding up the side.
ELSEWHERE, for your reading pleasure:
- This might be my favorite headline of the week, from Royal Central: Prince George adopts a lobster. That lobster literally is his lobster.
- This T interview with Sarah Burton of McQueen — she talks about The Wedding Dress, in a very classy way — is really, really good.
- Royal Central has examined many another Royal Kate; this go-round, it’s Catherine of Braganza .
- This is SO GREAT: Kate Middleton, Simpsons-ized. Yes, Kate as one of the Simpsons, in many MANY MANY ensembles you will recognize. (HumorChic)
- Our friends at What Kate Wore have a good run-down of Kate’s trip to Malta at the end of the month, and I personally would like to thank Kate for not going to Malta while I am at Fashion Week. It’s VERY thoughtful.
- This is so fascinating: a New York Times report on a display of the imperial crown jewels of Russia, circa 1922. (The Court Jeweller)
- The Court Jeweller also takes a look back at 10 of Princess Diana’s most famous pieces of jewelry. You can immediately date those photos — well, as if you couldn’t anyway — by how many chokers there were. It will be interesting to see if Kate ever wears any of these, beyond her ring. (There are a pair of earrings that she has worn, albeit modified. There’s also speculation that Harry has ended up with most of them [in the always illuminating and smart comments at Court Jeweller]. JEWELRY!)
- Speaking of Diana, a slice of the wedding cake from her marriage to Chaz was auctioned off this week for approximately $1300. I can never hear about these things without thinking of that episode of Seinfeld, where Elaine eats a piece of Wallis Simpson wedding cake AND PAYS FOR IT. (Vanity Fair)