Almost vacation! As a bit of housekeeping: we are currently heading into a That Time When People Stop Leaving The House, so regular seven-times-a-day posting will taper off a bit as we get closer to Christmas and New Year’s. We WILL be doing plenty of year-end stuff — Hotness Retrospectives, three huge Royals Round-Up Round-Ups, our annual Vogue-predict-a-cover, a look back at the year’s most popular posts, some Downton Abbey goodness, style round-ups of various personages, Hideous Outfits You Perhaps Forgot, etc etc — and I’m obviously going to be all over it when Wills and Kate pop out of the house, so make sure you drop by over the holidays. But we probably won’t be full-on business as usual until Monday, January 5th, after which point, my friends, IT WILL BE ON: The Golden Globes are January 11th! AND we’ll have Exciting Book News to bring you! And other stuff will happen! Until then:
– This is AMAZING: Bored Coworkers Recreate Classic Paintings Using Office Supplies. (Demilked)
– So is this, from Scientific American. Let me give you a taste: “For this year’s Nobel Prize Award Ceremony, UK engineer-turned-fashion designer, Matthew Hubble saw an opportunity to blend fashion and science via May Britt Moser‘s receiving the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine this year along with her husband, Edvard Moser, and colleague John O’Keefe for their work on grid neurons. Matthew’s background as an engineer, along with his daughter currently studying neuroscience, resulted in him considering a way to elegantly represent the neuroscientists’ work through fashion. He settled on creating a sophisticated gown that featured the neuron grid.” !!! It’s awesome.
– Vulture put together a look at the 16 best times Stephen Colbert broke character. It is a DELIGHT. (Sadly, it does not include my own favorite one, which is the time he lost it on The Daily Show eating a banana and making homosexual innuendo about Prince Charles, a clip in which both he and Jon Stewart look SO YOUNG). I LOVE YOU COLBERT. (I really do. He is my ideal man. Tall, brunette, Catholic, Southern, liberal, funny, smart, loved his mom, really nice to his wife, secretly full of feelings.)
– Refinery29 ranked 2014’s best literary moments.
– This WSJ story about Colts QB Andrew Luck is really, really amusing, even if you don’t care about football.
– This news about how Selena Gomez had a hissy over Justin Bieber at Taylor Swift’s birthday this weekend really makes me look forward to the Get A Grip song Taylor is eventually going to write about her. IT’S GOING TO BE AWESOME. (Lainey)
– This headline cracked me up: From “A Royal Christmas” to “Merry Inkmas”: Your guide to the hellscape of Christmas-themed programming. (Salon)
– As did this one: How to Be a Ladyperson at the Holidays: 10 Important Tips (I Miss you When I Blink)
– Over at Girl of a Certain Age, everyone is discussing the worst gift they were ever given.
– Here’s your Weekly Cumberbatch, via Celebitchy
– But there’s more of him here, in the New York Times’ series of nine short films of actors kissing.
– The NYT also put together a quiz about the year in fashion and style. I didn’t do so hot (9 out of 15). If it had been a quiz on the Belts of Prince William, I would have aced that thing.
– And in the category of videos you might want to watch, you do want to see this Oxford a capella group’s DEEPLY ADORABLE cover of “All I Want For Christmas Is You.” (ABC)
– Our friends at Socialite Life bid White Collar farewell with gifs of hot hot Matt Bomer.
– Buzzfeed tells us the 12 TV shows they quit this year. What did you quit? I quit Masters of Sex IN THE MIDDLE OF AN EPISODE.
– Pajiba brings you….The 10 Most Forgettable Movies of 2014. And I HAD forgotten about some of them!
– And finally, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, because it’s nearly Christmas, it’s time for my favorite GFY Holiday Tradition. The playing of the “Last Christmas” video, in all of its INSANELY FEATHERED HAIR and GRANDMA SWEATERED GLORY: