On a whim, and during a slow news week fashion-wise, we decided to compare and contrast how the various fashion houses played the game during awards season. But once we got started, we realized it wasn’t as simple as considering sheer volume, although obviously that’s a big part of it. Other factors that count are what’s happening internally at the label — how badly do they need a strong surge compared with what they got, for example. Or, does batting a thousand with very few dresses work better than blanketing the red carpet with varied options — so, a Rodarte compared with an Elie Saab? It’s an imperfect science, but we had fun weighing the pros and cons of what each house was able to get, and we hope you’ll enjoy flipping through them and figuring out which one most grievously wet the bed, and which is jumping for joy atop it.
Which designer won the 2017 awards season?
- Alberta Ferretti (8%, 254 Votes)
- Armani (14%, 457 Votes)
- Christian Siriano (8%, 263 Votes)
- Givenchy (2%, 70 Votes)
- Jenny Packham (4%, 126 Votes)
- Michael Kors (3%, 108 Votes)
- Naeem Khan (51%, 1,683 Votes)
- Oscar de la Renta (9%, 303 Votes)
- Rodarte (2%, 59 Votes)
Total Voters: 3,323
Honorable Mention: Romona Keveza doesn’t get enough red-carpet attention. She placed similar gorgeous gowns on Sara Bareilles and Regina King, but doesn’t seem to court this arena as much as other designers so we didn’t put her in the slideshow. Hopefully she’ll get some more dresses out there soon.
And which designer lost it?
- Alexander McQueen (4%, 123 Votes)
- Calvin Klein (2%, 50 Votes)
- Dior (19%, 578 Votes)
- Elie Saab (1%, 32 Votes)
- Gucci (39%, 1,223 Votes)
- J. Mendel (4%, 111 Votes)
- Jean Paul Gaultier (7%, 213 Votes)
- Louis Vuitton (14%, 422 Votes)
- Ralph & Russo (2%, 50 Votes)
- Reem Acra (3%, 107 Votes)
- Valentino (3%, 101 Votes)
- Versace (2%, 72 Votes)
- Zuhair Murad (1%, 36 Votes)
Total Voters: 3,118
Honorable mention: Prada/Miu Miu put Allison Williams in a lovely gown at the Vanity Fair party, and gave both Miranda Kerr and Rashida Jones their best outings in a while. But blah stuff on Jessica Chastain, plus disappointing gowns on Teresa Palmer and Natalie Portman, averaged out right in the middle of the pack.