At last, friends, the time has come! It’s our annual Vogue Predict-the-Cover, when all Fug Nationals gather around and prognosticate which celebrities will be honored with Lady Wintour’s favor in the upcoming year, and check last year’s predictions to see just how psychic they are (to that end, here’s last year’s post). Reminder: You’re anticipating what will happen, not what should happen.
I did TERRIBLY this year — I only got 2 of 12, and one of those was a gimme because we’d already seen it, although I also dumbly talked myself out of picking Rihanna — so here’s hoping my choices here are more on target. These are in no particular order:
- Okay, obviously we know what’s happening in January.
- The Met Gala hosts for 2020 are Nicolas Ghesquière, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Emma Stone, and Meryl Streep; Emma feels like the obvious choice there, and Vogue loves her.
- Gal Gadot, for the new Wonder Woman
- Awkwafina, just because I feel like she’s Really Happening Right Now (and I want this to happen)
- Julianne Moore and Alicia Vikander are in the Gloria Steinem biopic and I think they might get a twofer.
- I think Carey Mulligan might get one for Promising Young Woman (which looks amazing)
- Cynthia Erivo has a lot on her plate in 2020 AND she’s a real fashion risk-taker.
- Jennifer Connelly is in the new Top Gun, and the Snowpiercer series, and she feels overdue for a cover.
- 2020 is an Olympic year — thank god we get the Summer Olympics if we have to live through another election — and so we will certainly get Some Array of Olympians. (I’m hoping for a Serena and Venus cover.)
- I also think we’re going to get some kind of Remember When We Had Models!!!!!! group shot of various young models
- Ana de Armas is in the new Bond AND in a highly anticipated Marilyn Monroe biopic AND is apparently great in Knives Out
- This is the part of my list where I am like, “oh, shit, I need a musician!” Rihanna just had one, or she’d be a shoe-in. I think Beyonce is sort of neutral on Vogue anymore. Lady Gaga has a new album coming out in 2020, allegedly, so I’m going to go with her? I don’t know! I’m bad at this!