Happy Friday, Fug Nation! The Emmys are on Sunday, so as usual we will be live-tweeting the red carpet on Twitter at FugGirls, and then ALSO as usual we’ll deluge you with coverage here on Monday.
Before we begin, a big note on the ad issues some of you have been experiencing: Some of our overlays have been popping up for readers far too frequently, and it’s come to our attention that this is often — paradoxically — due to the use of ad blockers. Specifically, in this case, the one affiliated with Google Chrome. (It’s a long technical explanation that has to do with cookies and such.) If you turn off Chrome’s ad blocker, it will fix that issue and the site will run more smoothly; we’ve already had GFY readers confirm this to be true. We believe a longer-term solution is in the works, and we’re doing some front-end/back-end work on the site as well that we hope will help. But in the meantime, this means we have to advise you to turn off your ad blockers for GFY.
Which brings us to: If you enjoy reading GFY, please consider turning off your ad blockers anyway. Because ad blockers are proving financially ruinous for small, independently owned sites like ours. Reader experience has always been important to us, and in a perfect world, we would run GFY ad-free. Unfortunately, the reality is that for this to remain our job, and for GFY to have its best shot at remaining on the Internet, we need ads to appear in front of people’s eyeballs; they are the only income we receive for our work, the only way to pay for exorbitant photo access fees and hosting, and thus, the only way we can stay in business. (And when those ads are for big legit companies like KFC and Toyota — as opposed to, say, Big Jim’s Barfeteria and Parasite Emporium – we frankly count ourselves very lucky indeed.) We value your readership very much, and we hope to be celebrating a lot more milestone birthdays with you here. And obviously, ad blockers are not the sole reason sites are going out of business, or the only difficulty of running an Internet business. But they do make it harder, so while we understand you will continue to browse the web however you choose and that it’s none of our business, we felt we should explain that — in this case – turning off the ad blocker is not only going to help you in a technical sense, but it may also keep Fug Nation alive. If you’re willing to do us this courtesy, we’ll be forever grateful. Thank you!
As ever, please continue to contact us about all ad issues at firstname.lastname@example.org, with as much information as you can give (screen grabs, where you are geographically, browser, platform, etc). Also, the tech crew is continually hunting down those redirects that sometimes haunt the mobile site, so if/when you get one, send us a flare.
That boring stuff out of the way, let’s move on:
– At Racked: The Distinct Pleasure of the House Dress. I am wearing a house dress right now!
– A high school student in Sherman Oaks, CA, invented an app to help kids find people to eat their lunches with, which is so sweet, and I hope it takes off like crazy and everyone has awesome lunches from now on. FYI, if you ever run into me or Heather at a social event, please know that you can always hang out with us. Do not be put off by my Resting Murderer Face! (This reminds me, H and I went to see Waitress while we were in New York — it’s wonderful — and a Fug National came up and said hello and it was AWESOME to met her.) [NPR]
– There’s a rumor, via Lainey, that Diane Kruger is dating Garett Hedlund. He was with Kirsten Dunst for several years, until recently, so I can see that he might have a type? (Kiki is now allegedly dating FNL’s Landry, which is delightful.) Diane’s shirt is…compelling.
– Collectors Weekly brings us 7-Up’s Most Beautiful, Hallucinatory Billboards
– At Pajiba, they’re enumerating The Best Performances In an Otherwise Terrible Movie
– At Girls of a Certain Age, they’re talking about top ten wardrobe musts – the kind of post I live for.
– At The New Potato, a classic apple pie recipe.
– I LIVE for the wallpaper in this Victorian house featured on Design*Sponge.
– Over at Celebitchy, I learned that ALLEGEDLY Taylor Swift has set her cap for Zac Efron, which seems like a bad idea all around.
– And, if you missed anything around GFY this week, some highlights:
- Many many many celebrities went to NY Fashion Week.
- Victoria Beckham looked AMAZING in New York this week.
- I don’t want you to miss over 70 pics of hot hot hot Prince Harry.
- Naomie Harris’s Mugler dress is SPECTACULAR.
- And so was this frock on Zhang Ziyi.
- See every look Jeremy Scott sent down the runway this NYFW.
- Emma Stone is BACK!
- We picked out some lovely things for FLOTUS to wear from NYFW.
- People wore some wacky stuff to the Creative Arts Emmys
- Celebrities wore things to the airport again.
- Lupita Nyong’o looked breathtaking in Carolina Herrera this week.
- The Kardashians continued to wear crazy stuff.
- Eyeball everything from Christian Siriano’s newest show.
- We talked about what we’re reading RIGHT NOW!