In other words, here’s EVERYONE ELSE.
Fugger: Joan Collins
This premiere brought out the best in people. I hope it’s not just The Royal Boost — stylists working overtime knowing there would be Windsors in attendance – and that this won’t devolve into madness at the next ones. Although… I do love madness.
[Photos: Fame/Flynet, Getty]
Oh, this is one juicy Royals Round-Up! I bring you SO MUCH polo, plus TIARAS! And bums! A VERY chic Letizia. And JOAN COLLINS. All that being said: Although Maxima and W-A are here in the US currently, they haven’t been well-covered by US media — Getty Images, our primary photo provider (and, by far, the largest one in the world) didn’t seem to send out a photographer, so I have very few shots of them, unfortunately. I’m bringing you what I’ve got, though, and they will be well covered in the links. I know some of you saw her/shook her hand/attended some of their events, so please give us the scoop in the comments!
A reminder: We’re appearing at the Printer’s Row Lit Fest tomorrow — Saturday –at 1pm, chatting with Elizabeth Fenner, Editor-in-Chief of Chicago Magazine. Tickets are required for all parts of the event, even the signing (contrary to earlier intel; we hugely apologize for any confusion) and they are $2. You can buy them here, although they may be sold out at this point: https://www.tribtix.com/e/printers-row-lit-fest-pass-event-go-fug/tickets That said: no-show seats become first-come, first-served, 15 minutes prior to the chat beginning, so if you find yourself in the area at 12:45 with some time to kill, pop on by and see what happens! We can’t wait to meet you!
- The Detroit Free Press has loads of snaps of W-A and Maxima in Grand Rapids; Maxima is obviously wearing A GIANT HAT.
- Order of Splendor has a great wrap-up of Maxima’s wardrobe, as well, including this batty spider pin she wore.
- And this is a great first-hand story about meeting her, at The Block Club, with great photos, and written by a Fug National!
- This is honestly one hell of a story: The Queen is not dead: How a ‘prank’ BBC tweet sparked alarm. (Macleans)
- “The greatest scandal in the history of the British Parliament had everything: sex, cash for honours, a feud within the Royal Family, and more – and all long before Jack Profumo, or Lord Levy or the Princess of Wales was born. In fact, its bicentenary is just a few days away.” (The Independent)
- Princess Charlotte’s christening date is set for July 5th, at Sandringham. (People)
- This story in People, about Kate and George’s recent Hyde Park outing, makes me laugh. “It looked like she was pretending to be a monster, flailing her arms about and chasing him.”
- British Vogue tries to pick a bride for Prince Harry. All suggestions will be familiar to Fug Nation.
- I didn’t get pictures of Prince Harry meeting Samuel L Jackson in my photo services this weekend, but he is INTO IT, and who wouldn’t be? (Vanity Fair)
- Princess Beatrice, Pierre Casiraghi, and Beatrice Borromeo all went to a VERY fancy wedding in Rome this week. Hello! has the pictures.
- A former RAF Valley chef talks about Wills and Harry. (The fact that Wills is “a bit of a lasagne man” pleases me, mostly because of a bit we have in The Royal We.) (The Daily Post)
- Bless Tatler, for rounding up some of the best tiaras that have appeared in their party coverage…EVER.
- Hello also has a piece about Sofia Hellqvist’s royal fashion inspirations.
- Prince Felix and Princess Claire of Luxembourg have released new family photos. (Hello!)
- This is an interesting piece in Politico about how Felipe (and Letitia) is improving the reputation of the Spanish royals.
- In case you’ve got a lot of cash rattling around: Rolls Royce used to sneak Wallis Simpson in and out of Balmoral Castle up for auction (Royal Central)
[Photos: Getty, Fame/Flynet]
We had an outing from Kate and Wills earlier today, which you can find in all its glory here. But that doesn’t mean this post isn’t full of STUFF. We’ve got everything from dead kings interred somewhere more appropriate than a car park to Harry at a rugby match to Maxima very seriously painting a wall to Eggs Benedict Cucumber Sandwich to Joan Collins.
Elsewhere on GFY, if you haven’t entered our final giveaway of The Royal We, you must! The contest is open to everyone, and in addition to a signed copy of The Royal We, we are giving away all kinds of goodies.
- Maclean’s coverage of Richard III’s reburial has been exceptionally interesting. Here’s coverage of the ceremony itself, and you HAVE TO read this piece about Richard’s descendant who built his coffin. It is FASCINATING and so, so good.
- History Extra from the BBC also had a good piece about public interest in Richard’s burial.
- And her Maj also wrote him a tribute, so I guess they’re all square now. As a Plantagenet, I am PLEASED.
- Royal Central has a primer on the changes in the royal succession laws that have FINALLY PASSED. I love that bits about people who are now BACK IN to the line of succession.
- Also at Royal Central, a first person account of meeting Prince Charles whilst he was in the US this week. Exciting! (It was RoyalObsessedinUS, who I know from Twitter!)
- Kate released a statement to The Times this week about the importance of children’s mental health, which is something she speaks out about a lot, and is obviously a huge priority for her. Good on you, Kate.
- People has a piece about Harry being spotted at Cressy’s opening night of h”er most recent stage effort.
- This is cute. A bunch of school children wrote Kate and Wills letters — with top tips for getting Prince George to sleep” – and they got letters back. I mean, how could you not? (Stamford Mercury)
- Chaz gave a speech about Earth Hour UK and yeah yeah yeah we’re all excited to save the planet, but we’re also excited about the very cute new picture of George he’s got displayed behind him. That is perhaps a bit of a response to the Daily Mail‘s “CHARLES NEVER SEES HIS GRANDCHILD” palaver of a few weeks back. (And good on him for it.)
- Celebs and royals photographer Dave Benett’s Instagram seems awesome, and our friend over at Duchess Diaries has rounded up some of his best snaps. There is a shot of Prince Charles, Prince, and Donatella Versace, and I totally thought Donatella was Lady Gaga.
- Hello’s got a good piece on the current wagering on Baby Cambridge #2′s name, and I’d like to remind you all that I’ve been saying “Alice” for MONTHS NOW. I shall be SO SMUG if I am correct.
- This is one of the reasons I enjoy Tatler so much: When the Countess of Harrowby isn’t writing racy novels, she keeps herself busy renovating Sandon Hall, her family’s glorious neo-Jacobean stately. INDEED SHE IS.
- And, from the Telegraph, this is SO FASCINATING:Bamber Gascoigne, the broadcaster, is to sell more than £2.2 million of treasures to help save West Horsley Place after ‘accidentally’ inheriting 50-room mansion
- This is great! The Court Jeweller has loads of updates about the upcoming Swedish Royal Wedding.
- It was Princess Eugenie’s 25th this week (I always think she’s older than that; don’t ask me why) and Hello! of course covered it in their usual fashion.
- We talked to Paper magazine about the royals, The Royals, and The Royal We.
[Photos: Getty, Koen van Weel/AFP/Getty Images, LISELOTTE SABROE/AFP/Getty]
Joan Collins, our patron saint, getting it done as usual. With bonus Jackie!
[Photos: Getty, Fame/Flynet]
Our recapping slates are pretty full, but we probably HAVE to try to cover The Royals in some capacity, because of how Joan Collins will be on it as the Grand Duchess Helena (how she got that title remains to be seen — by the sounds of things her daughter Elizabeth “Queen Helena” Hurley is married to the king and not the blood heir herself — or, indeed, may never be explained). I don’t know how we are going to pull it off, but if Joan Collins can still give me Dynasty-style palpitations then I probably need to see where it goes. And she CAN still do it:
She is so fabulously legendarily Joan. Just please throw a drink in someone’s face soon. Actually, throw one in MY face. IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?