You guys, I have the worst cold. Please hit me up with your home remedies in the comments. While I sneeze:
– I’m sure you’ll hear more about this from us in the next few months, but The Royal We comes out in paperback in a couple of months, and it’s available for pre-order NOW. Can I entice you by noting that it has a bonus chapter? (It’s not new plot, but it is a look at an event in the book from the POV of another character.) (It also has a new cover for the paperback, so if you were in love with the hardback cover…FYI.)
– We’ve been at Fashion Week this past week, although not writing as much as in years past for a variety of reasons (one of which being that the days of interesting celebs at every show are long gone). We did attend this Bachelor auction — with contestants from The Bachelor — and it was really funny. We’ve got a few other pieces to come, as well.
– We covered the best and worst of the Grammys for Cosmo!
– The Royal We is Forever Young Adult’s book club pick for the month — despite being an adult novel; thanks for bending the rules, guys! — and they invented a cocktail for it!
– Relevant to our interests, at Pajiba: 11 Things I Learned From Star Wars and the Power of Costume.
– Marie Claire, partnering with Harvard, did an extensive, well-researched, and compelling piece on women and guns that is well worth your time.
– Not to pivot subjects too violently, but I also enjoyed this piece on Thrillist going behind the scenes at the Westminster dog show. To wit: “One of the strangest room requests the Dog Concierge has received is for a simple cot. The night before the big show, a handler once requested a child’s cot for his well-furnished, $200-a-night room — and proceeded to sleep on it himself, gifting the bed to his dog.”
– The New Potato rounds up 16 perfect lipbalms.
– FINALLY that crackpot children’s restaurant/club Jessica Biel has been working for years has opened. My prediction, contrary to Lainey’s, is that it will NOT be a hit. LA has a lot of places to take your kids and this seems so overwrought to me. I guess we’ll see! (Lainey)
– America Theatre has a good piece about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend they’re calling Making a Musical on a TV Schedule, and I love the lede: “Aline Brosh McKenna loves to enter the ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ writers’ room as if she’s starring in Hamilton. ‘Angelica!’ she sings, doing her best Renée Elise Goldsberry, to which her colleagues will enthusiastically reply, ‘Eliza!’ and, ‘And Peggy’ in perfect Schuyler Sisters rhythm.”
– Speaking of Hamilton, Tyranny of Style looks at its costume design in an interview with designer Paul Tazewell.
– Over at Socialite Life, Jake Gyllenhaal sings West Side Story.
– At Hyperallergic: The Otherworldly Modern Homes that Were Never Built
– The New Yorker profile of TMZ is FASCINATING.
– Girls of a Certain Age talks great bags.
– There are a lot of theories about why Rihanna skipped the Grammys, but if she’s got this plague that I’ve got, I ALSO would have skipped the Grammys, so I kind of believe the official story. (Celebitchy)
– Vulture’s got a very interesting look at what’s gone wrong at ABC this season.
– And around GFY, ICYMI, some highlights from the last week:
- Check out Christian Siriano’s newest line.
- Kate Spade’s newest offerings were girly perfection.
- Look at all these dudes at the Grammys!
- Shocker: KimKard looks BONKERS.
- People wore some STUFF to post-Grammy parties.
- We fell in love with Andra Day.
- Ciara was naked, as usual.
- Domhnall Gleason and Carrie Fisher got freaky at the BAFTAs
- In fact, there was beaucoup BAFTAs coverage.
- And all our Grammys coverage lives here.